TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

Super newbie looking for help with tt++ on Android

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Script Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taracair

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject: Super newbie looking for help with tt++ on Android Reply with quote

Hello guys,

First of all I'd like to thank you for the greatest MUD client ever.
I use tt++ on Android and it looks very good compared to buggy MUD apps from Google Play.

I'm not a programmer, barely went through the captcha when registering an account here.

I would like to know:
- How to install scripts? I've found some ready scripts at tt++ webpage but I don't know how to install them. I find auto mapping very convenient and I'd like to install it.
- How to save settings in tt++? I have to type #split and other #commands everytime I start new session in tt++.
- Some tutorial on the web told me to type commands and save it to the txt file. But where should I place the file?

Basically I'd like to config tt++ as pretty plain MUD client without many automatics, but to make the mudding more comfortable. I'm going to start with BatMUD.

I'd appreciate any help.
PowerGod

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
you don't "install" things on tt++, you just "read" them when and where you want.

So, let's say you have a txt file with all the commands you need to be launched at start, you can use it mainly 2 in ways:

1) If tt++ is already started, just use the command "#READ /fullpath/filename.txt"

2) To launch it directly from command line "tt++ -r /fullpath/filename.txt"

It is common anyway to call those scripts with an extension like ".tt" or ".tin", but it's not required, it's just something to make easier recognize them.
Also, remember that it's important to start every script with "#" as the first character, because it will be used as the command character for the entire environment.

You can find more advanced ways to manage scripts by reading "#HELP CLASS"
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Super newbie looking for help with tt++ on Android Reply with quote

Taracair wrote:
Hello guys,

First of all I'd like to thank you for the greatest MUD client ever.
I use tt++ on Android and it looks very good compared to buggy MUD apps from Google Play.

I'm not a programmer, barely went through the captcha when registering an account here.

It might be a little intimidating at first, but it's really not so bad.

Files in Termux are stored in the /data directory, which you cannot access from your PC without jail breaking your phone/tablet.

If you haven't jail broken your phone try:

pkg install alpine

This will give you access to the pico text editor. Using pico requires the control key, see this page for more info if you use a touch keyboard:

https://termux.com/touch-keyboard.html

Now inside Termux type: pico main.tin

This will make you edit the file 'main.tin' using the pico editor. Inside you would type:

#session bla mymud.com 1234
#split
#send {charactername}
#send {password}

If you want movement macros (and don't use control codes for input editing) you can try adding the following to main.tin:

#macro {\cn}{n}
#macro {\ce}{e}
#macro {\cs} {s}
#macro {\cw} {w}
#macro {\cu} {u}
#macro {\cd} {d}

If you add these 6 macros pressing volume-down + n should send 'n' to your mud without having to press enter. Keep in mind that macros on Termux might behave in unusual ways.

Once you're done editing 'main.tin' you'd have to press volume-down + x to exit pico, next press Y (for yes) when pico asks you if you want to save the changes.

Then you'd type: tt++ main.tin to launch the file.

Taracair wrote:

I would like to know:
- How to install scripts? I've found some ready scripts at tt++ webpage but I don't know how to install them. I find auto mapping very convenient and I'd like to install it.

As mentioned by PowerGod you can read files using #read. You should be able to copy-paste existing scripts into pico and save them.

Automapping is done with the #map command, there's a fair amount of info available on it. You might wanna read this link, or check #help map, or check the manual on the website.

https://tintinplusplus-unoffical-documentation.readthedocs.io/en/latest/contents/features/mapper/01_getting-started.html

Taracair wrote:

- How to save settings in tt++? I have to type #split and other #commands everytime I start new session in tt++.

Hopefully that's clearer now. Keep in mind that Termux is a Linux environment, so you could google for some introduction guides to Linux.

Taracair wrote:

- Some tutorial on the web told me to type commands and save it to the txt file. But where should I place the file?

If you just use Termux to run TinTin++ you can simply use pico in the Termux directory, which you'll be placed into by default. There might be a better way to do file management, but I'm not very familiar with Android or Termux.

Taracair wrote:

Basically I'd like to config tt++ as pretty plain MUD client without many automatics, but to make the mudding more comfortable. I'm going to start with BatMUD.

Hopefully someone can join in who has some tips on a good Android setup. TinTin++ has only been available for Android for a few months.
Taracair

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for all your tips.

I could easily find the files written by tt++ in the Android memory - I am rooting these phones for 7 years.

I was creating *.txt files but they weren't working, even after changing permissions. The output was "File not found" everytime I've tried. So first I did '#write example' and then changed that 'example' file to my needs - as a set of commands when starting the tt++.

I've tried Window Bar script from the website. It wasn't working until I deleted '~' symbols from the script (don't even ask me how I came up with this, reading the scrips was like reading some foreign language) and after all it was working just fine.

The most important thing was to create a file with set of commands. Thankfully the BatMUD has many commands to make the life easier so I don't have to think how to implement them to tt++.

Thanks!
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind to always use Wordpad instead of Notepad to edit Linux files on Windows.

The ~ at the start of an #action turns it into a color trigger. This can cause problems when there are color codes in the middle of the line.

If you like using #write you could try:

#event {SESSION CONNECTED} {#send {yourname};#send {yourpassword}}

The event will be saved with #write and sends your name and password when your session connects to the mud.

Taracair wrote:
(don't even ask me how I came up with this, reading the scrips was like reading some foreign language)

Any sufficiently advanced script is indistinguishable from magic. Blink
Slysven

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scandum, with an wry grin, wrote:
...Any sufficiently advanced script is indistinguishable from magic. Blink

With the corollary that getting it to work can require doing some really weird s**t...!
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slysven wrote:
Scandum, with an wry grin, wrote:
...Any sufficiently advanced script is indistinguishable from magic. Blink

With the corollary that getting it to work can require doing some really weird s**t...!

That's part of the fun and magic. Blink

Most things in tt++ have some logical explanation, and many people don't realize that they're doing things with tt++ that aren't possible (out of the box) in a static language.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Script Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: