TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

numerous drawing bugs in macOS terminals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Bug Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skwrl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: numerous drawing bugs in macOS terminals Reply with quote

I've set up tintin++ on macOS 10.13.3 (17D47) through brew and am having a lot of terminal/visual bugs. I have tried this in my normal shell, tmux, and Terminal.app & iTerm2 with different but not positive results.

The most annoying problem is that turning off command echo doesn't work, it still inserts a blank line on every input to the muck and all commands are echo'd. if I move the buffer in any way all the commands are shown inline.
If I use Terminal.app instead of iTerm2 the command echo is shown in buffer as light grey, in iTerm2 it's the same color as everything else and it cannot be simply distinguished.

If I turn off split tintin++ just pushes up all command echo and also starts merging lines, jumbling things up, and turns into an insane mess of text which is unparseable. I would love if I could not use split and just gag/vanish/dissapear all input echo

Moving around the buffer causes command echo to show but alse causes lines to appear out of order and sometimes vanish. This is happens with #buffer commands as well as pg up/down keys. It seems most consistently to be lines twards the top and I can reproduce it every time on the last screen of buffer. If I buffer down an extra time when at the end it "fixes" the top few lines. This is the same in all terminals with and without tmux.

Lastly, I'm having an issue with it inconsistently adding a blank line before the bottom split. I don't want or need the second line of blank after the split.

if there is any further details I can provide to help I would be happy to provide.

my config changes are
Code:

#split {0}
#config {LOG} {RAW};
#config {LOG LEVEL} {LOW};
#config {COMMAND ECHO} {OFF};
#config {CHARSET} {UTF-8};
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You can change the command color using something like:

#config {command color} {<128>}

If you don't want to see commands in the scrollback buffer you could try:

#config {command color} {<008>}

or

#config {command color} {<aaa>}

2. Command echo only works with #split enabled. If you don't like the split line you could try:

#split 0 0

3. It's possible to remove the blank line, but I'm not sure how many people have command echo enabled and want that blank line to be there. You can try the following workaround:

Code:

#macro {\cj} {#cursor {get}{input};#cursor clear line;#line sub var $input}

4. Scrollback problems might be terminal specific. When using #split 0 0 the terminal's own scrollback functionality might work.

The final buffer down will be out of sync if new output has arrived, so that's intended behavior. There are some minor bugs in the scrollback handling, but the code got so complex (in part because it also compresses the buffer) that I never got around to fixing them.

5. The blank line before the split line cannot easily be removed. It's more of a VT100 terminal emulation quirk than a tt++ quirk.
skwrl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the confusion is I do not want any command echo or extra line at all. I'm fine with the split or single line blank if there isn't a line inserted into input every time I send something to the muck.

Foe example this is what my output looks like now
Code:

Welcome to the land
Mark does a thing
Mary does a thing
more text

you do a thing

you say a thing

you pick up a thing

you do an action
Mary does an action

------------------------------------------

What I would like is

Code:

Welcome to the land
Mark does a thing
Mary does a thing
more text
you do a thing
you say a thing
you pick up a thing
you do an action
Mary does an action
------------------------------------------

for some reason setting command echo off does not do this, even though I would expect it.

The split 0 0 works well for me and I like it without the extra line. I just wish sending a command did not generate extra lines
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try the workaround?

Code:

#macro {\cj} {#cursor {get}{input};#cursor clear line;#line sub var $input}

It should fix the blank line problem.

I've added looking into the default handling to my todo list. It's slightly complicated because most people want a new line if they have a pending prompt, and some muds have obnoxious color/prompt handling.
skwrl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry yes, that workaround completely fixes my problem with the blank line but it kills my ability to move through history which is problematic.

Doing a #history list shows nothing as well.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm, forgot about that.

I went ahead and fixed it. I may have to revert it if it breaks something else, but I think it'll work okay for everyone.

http://tintin.sf.net/download/tintin-beta.tar.gz

It can be a bit tricky to compile the source code on OS X.
skwrl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find using brew makes building it easier. If you have homebrew already installed, you can use the following;

Quote:
brew edit tintin
<change url and shasum>
brew uninstall --force tintin
brew install --build-from-source tintin

I use this to build and install this build. It fixes both the echo and the history issues! All good.
moire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scandum wrote:
I went ahead and fixed it. I may have to revert it if it breaks something else, but I think it'll work okay for everyone.

That possibly broke "#config {command echo} {on}" for me.
Nothing is echoed in split mode, though the commands show up in the scrollback buffer.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you performed a clean compile by issuing rm *.o before make.

Is there an easy way to reproduce this?
moire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scandum wrote:
Make sure you performed a clean compile by issuing rm *.o before make.

Thanks, this was the cause.

Scandum wrote:
Is there an easy way to reproduce this?

It is not necessary. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Bug Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: