TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

Advertising your MUD with TinTin++

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Advertising your MUD with TinTin++ Reply with quote

Looking to supplement my income I'm giving the MUD advertisement business a try. TinTin++'s popularity has steadily increased with currently 1400 to 1800 downloads a month, with the user base being roughly comprised of 40% Windows, 40% Linux, and 20% Mac OS X users.

I'll be out of town for the next couple of days, but am planning to release an advertisement enabled tintin++ (v 1.99.9) before the 31st. For anyone who's interested I need the following information, preferably before the 24th.

1) Name of the mud
2) Website url, if you want it included.
3) An 8 line description (can be shorter), wrapped at 80 columns.
4) Address and port
5) $100 - preferably through paypal (We'll settle the details through email.)

Email me at mudclient@gmail.com if interested.

The advertisements won't be obtrusive, just a text banner on the greeting screen, if you have a startup script you probably won't see it, unless your MUD is down.
louipc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be good if you could make money for referrals from MUDs that charge for access or extras. It would also be nice if the ad wasn't a big banner at startup, instead it could be two lines.

1. Name of mud, url

There could be another command to list advertised muds and also see them in more detail. #mud by itself would list all of them.

2. Type #mud nameofmud for more details.

#mud by itself would list all of them.
louipc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha. I just found #advertise, but it doesn't seem like there's any way to list available muds.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to remove #advertise, it was just for debugging.

My general thought was that the text banners won't be too big an annoyance for people with startup scripts that automatically connect, and if someone finds it particularly annoying it's fairly easy to adjust the source code, or add something like #showme \e[2J to a startup script to erase the page.

I've considered adding something like a #sponsor command that'd work like your #mud suggestion and charge something like $25 for a year, but I doubt enough muds would join in to be worth the effort.

I don't think I'll be doing this advertisement thing next year anyways, it's more trouble than it's worth.
reality3k

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could do a banner ad on the downloads page. Alot of mud clients do that. See http://www.zuggsoft.com or http://www.gameaxle.com. And/or add a Paypal donations link.

We all appreciate your work on tintin. Best client ever. Smile
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's against sourceforge regulations to run ads on a sourceforge webpage.

I guess I could add back the donation link, or maybe sell cheap text banners so people get a little something back for their donation. Not sure if that'd interest many people.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: