TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

Issues with >1.99.9 and GNU Screen?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Bug Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tangobravo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Issues with >1.99.9 and GNU Screen? Reply with quote

Not sure if this is a 'bug' or my own ineptitude, but have run into a problem while updating my TinTin.

Just updated from the '1.99.5' (on Ubuntu Karmic)... First, went straight to 1.99.9 (which I was able to get to compile and install properly)... seems to work just fine... until I tried using it with my normal GNU Screen split setup. When using it along with Screen, for some reason, I cannot use my PgUp / PgDn keys to access the scrollback in my TinTin window.

Any thoughts? Anyone else run into this problem? Any more information I could provide, or further investigation I should be doing to track this down?

Thanks!

P.S., recently got back into mudding after a >10year retirement -- glad to see TinTin is still going nice and strong! =) From what I have done so far, it is very very enhanced and I can't wait to spend (ALOT) more time with it =) Thanks, Scandium!
tangobravo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok -- Forgot to add this. I regressed down from 1.99.9 step-by-step through versions until 1.99.6, where it seemed to work properly again. Hope that little clue helps!

Thanks!
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you can try is pressing ctrl-v followed by pressing page-up, this should echo the escape code generated by the key press.

Let me know the codes for page-up and page-down and I'll add them, assuming that's the problem. You can also create a macro for scrollback:

#macro {<page-up keycode>} {#buffer up}
#macro {<page-down keycode>} {#buffer down}
tangobravo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry -- My mud was down for a few days, so I didn't follow through with this. Will give it a go again and see what changes/changed with the escape characters, if I can.
tangobravo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok -- Did the testing.

PageUp: \e[5~

PageDn: \e[6~

Also further information -- Tmux is affected by the same issue. And binding the escape codes to macro as you mentioned actually does NOT fix anything.. it reacts the same way. The 'first' keypress of PageUp shows me the current line of my prompt at the top of the screen. After that, it blanks. Hitting 'enter' at any point brings me a new prompt at the bottom of the screen.

Any thoughts?
tangobravo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... was there any sort of dependency change between those versions? Just tried it out again on a completely new / clean OS install (still Ubuntu Karmic, different machine), and stepped up through the versions - and suffered the same thing.

Any new thoughts?
tangobravo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another thing which I just thought of, which *might* be a clue to the situation: With both OS installs, I cannot use the pre-compiled binaries; #SESSION command will NOT let me connect. If I build from source, however, it works just fine.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

\e[5~ and \e[6~ are bound by default.

Sounds like the actual command is working, but something is messing up with the page up/down code, possibly by something your mud does.

If you launch tintin and enter: #10 #info, does page up/down work then?
tangobravo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that right away -- it actually DID work in all instances... until after CONNECTING to the mud with the #session command.

To cover all my bases, I went back and removed all traces of the tt++ install, Tmux install, and Screen install... and rebuilt tt++ 1.99.9 from source, along with the most recent version of Tmux from source.... NOW it seems to all work properly.

So... problem solved? Not sure... still don't know what the ultimate problem originally was... But I'm good, for now! Thank you as always for your assists!
tangobravo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh.. Just my luck - it appears I spoke too soon. Strangest thing happened. Was working just fine as of this morning... and suddenly stopped working. Worked in ONE session, closed that session (didn't close terminal, or tt++, mind --) and restarted the session to the SAME mud with the SAME char... and suddenly now it doesn't work. Something fishy indeed.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd stuff. Assuming it's the scrollback buffer code having issues it's gonna be hard to fix without a clear way to reproduce the problem.
tangobravo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...I think I can actually reproduce this now. It seems to make / break when using the #split! (Though not always the same state). Think this is a good clue?
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't seem to make a difference to me, but I'll keep an eye on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Bug Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: