TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

Command echo odd behavior/crash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Bug Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Astondryn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Command echo odd behavior/crash Reply with quote

I'm having an issue with local command echo. If I connect to my MUCK with #CONFIG {COMMAND ECHO} {OFF}, I don't get any command echoes...until I scroll up to the backlog with page up/page down. I then start to see command echoes in my backlog, and when I scroll back down they're there too, until I get something new in my backlog. I also notice that I get buffer errors very often, a red message where entire paragraphs of past logs just vanish.

However, I run into far worse behavior with COMMAND ECHO ON. If I do that, I get a command echo like I should, but trying to page up results in an instant crash of tintin.

I'm using a self-compiled binary using Ubuntu 10.10.

EDIT: Just had a crash with echo off too...so I'm just having backlog issues left and right.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing worth trying, if you hadn't already, is using 'make clean' before running 'make' again.

If it's an issue with tt++ (v2.00.5 right?) I'll need an easy way to reproduce this crash in order to look into it.
Astondryn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's 2.00.5. I also tried make clean before make, no difference.

I went ahead and compiled it with debugging symbols (added a -g before -Wall in the make file) and ran it through gdb. I could not get a crash that I could repeat 100%, but eventually I did manage to catch a segfault or two. I went ahead and grabbed a backtrace and info locals of the first frame (frame 0 was in libc).

http://paste.pocoo.org/show/j2LCzD8wbRw40lvoGjve/

I actually looked through a couple of these and I found a curious pattern, in almost all of these cases temp was equal to the first line of the room description. Dunno if that's significant, but there you go.

Also, here's my config file, minus my session info:

http://paste.pocoo.org/show/lO5vsSqdNqbx4Z2YHHc4/

iirc, it was created using #write a couple of versions ago, and I simply added the split and the local echo color for when I turn local echo on.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's very useful. As a side note, the local command echo is supposed to stay in the scroll back buffer even if it's not visible on the screen.

One thing you can try is editing buffer.c and on row 500 change:

Code:

while (scroll_tmp--)

to

Code:

while (scroll_tmp-- && temp_ptr)

I need to go over that code some day and figure out what's going wrong, but till then that check might keep tintin from crashing.
Astondryn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went ahead and compiled tintin with that change. At least in my initial tests, I still get buffer errors and general weirdness in the scrollback buffer, but at least the crashing seems to have stopped.

Thanks for your help.
Chicomecoatl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This fix worked great for 2.00.5, but the 2.00.6 Beta crashes all the time for me when i try this, and i looked at buffer.c and the change was already there. I set #debug all log on, and saw no crash report or anything. Segmentation fault occurs almost like clockwork under Ubuntu 10.10 with the beta.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was working on the buffer code, got distracted, then forgot about it. Guess I'll get back to it. Coffee

Btw, do you have #config wordwrap disabled?
Chicomecoatl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it enabled, should i disable it?
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think having wordwrap off was causing crashes in 2.00.5.

You get a crash when using the scrollback buffer, right?

I haven't seen any crashes yet myself.
Chicomecoatl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm honestly not sure what causes the crashes. I'm still too newbish to Linux to be able to debug it myself.

What i see, is that i randomly the client terminates itself and say "Segmentation fault", above the fault i see

Code:

[Input Sent]: note

spamming off the screen. The input sent is an event of mine that when i change my "debug" variable, it will show what i've sent. I don't no why it always says "note" as the sent when it faults, because i haven't checked notes in a while when it says that, and have inputted lots of other things.

I have a {3} {2} split constantly, and from what i understand it's more common with a split going. It can happen from once every couple days, to 5 times in a minute. I did notice that it happened more frequently when i ran tt++ under GNU Screen, compared to a native terminal, although it does happen in both.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be caused by an infinite loop. Doesn't sound like a buffer related problem.
Chicomecoatl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my first thought as well, but i checked, double, triple and quadruple checked and i couldn't find anything lopping at all.

The other thing that makes me think it's not an issue cause by one of my aliases/triggers/etc is that it's not a constant occurance, nor does it happen at any specific time.

Sometimes it happens when i idle, sometimes when i'm chatting, other times when i'm in the middle of combat. There seems to be no consistent indication of what could be causing it.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a memory corruption, running TinTin++ inside Valgrind might give some useful info.
Chicomecoatl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing it back to this forum since i can't access the other one anymore. There was an issue with the chat logging inside GMCP, just wondering if a fix appeared between when i last checked and thr forums traded back.

Tried a PM bug got a bug corruption error, so i'll just bump here for it.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got it at the top of my todo list. Just need a couple of hours of free time to make a character and do some testing.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't reproduce the crash, but I think I found the most likely cause and fixed it. I updated the beta in case you want to test it.

http://tintin.sf.net/download/tintin-beta.tar.gz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Bug Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: