TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

tintin on ubuntu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dandenison84

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: tintin on ubuntu Reply with quote

who manages the ubuntu version? It is 2.00.5-1 instead of the latest and greatest, just wondering how often it gets updated?
dandenison84

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one running tintin on Ubuntu? Smile
tangobravo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shamelessly ripped from another thread where we had the exact same discussion some time ago:

...Anyhow, I'm by no means an expert here... but I believe this is the way it works: Ubuntu is Debian-based. Typically, any package desired to be incorporated into the official Ubuntu repositories is done by requesting it be sync'd from the Debian release (in this case, that version is sync'd to the latest Debian Sid (unstable) build already). If the Debian one was newer, I believe the 'proper' channel would be to ask on Launchpad.net as a bug to "request that the build be synchronized to the latest debian" build... and as long as you get the request in before the Debian Diff Freeze (a scheduled date at some point in each version's development cycle - which is already passed, in Natty's case), it can often be done.

Well... in this case, Ubuntu is already sync'd to the latest Debian unstable package.... but I believe you could request over there that they synchronize to the latest release build. Then it would be trivial to have it requested to be added to the next Ubuntu.

Like I said, not an expert - but that's the way the process looks to me. All that said, however - any reason you're shying away from compiling the latest version straight from the TinTin++ SourceForge download? In my experience (I'm running Lucid), it compiles perfectly... and I try to typically stay as up-to-date as absolutely possible with Scandum's builds. If you're having difficulties with it, let me know, and I'd be happy to walk you through it.

---*SNIP*---

Here's the link to the thread that came from.. it also does contain a recommended method for compiling the most recent version easily. http://tintin.sourceforge.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=1395
dandenison84

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
dandenison84

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked like a charm, now running the latest version!
Feedmeacat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having trouble getting tintin running on Linux Mint, which is based on Ubuntu (so far, all install procedures written for Ubuntu have worked). I installed build-essential, but needed to add the dev zlib and pcre libraries to get zlib.h and pcre.h so that make would work at all.

I'm at the penultimate step, where I instruct my terminal (from within /tt/src/):

sudo make install

And it spits this at me:

---- Linking...
gcc -Wall -D_GNU_SOURCE -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -o tt++ action.o alias.o files.o help.o highlight.o strhash.o input.o log.o main.o misc.o net.o parse.o path.o update.o history.o tab.o vt102.o terminal.o session.o function.o text.o substitute.o tick.o telopt.o math.o split.o debug.o tinexp.o mapper.o tables.o buffer.o prompt.o class.o event.o utils.o chat.o macro.o config.o gag.o variable.o list.o forkpty.o cursor.o memory.o system.o line.o tokenize.o data.o nest.o advertise.o -lutil -lnsl -lpthread
session.o: In function `dispose_session':
session.cSad.text+0xfc1): undefined reference to `inflateEnd'
telopt.o: In function `translate_telopts':
telopt.cSad.text+0x129): undefined reference to `inflate'
telopt.cSad.text+0x26e): undefined reference to `inflateEnd'
telopt.cSad.text+0x2d8): undefined reference to `inflateEnd'
telopt.o: In function `init_mccp':
telopt.cSad.text+0x3257): undefined reference to `inflateInit_'
tinexp.o: In function `regexp_compare':
tinexp.cSad.text+0x42a): undefined reference to `pcre_compile'
tinexp.cSad.text+0x490): undefined reference to `pcre_exec'
tinexp.o: In function `regexp_compile':
tinexp.cSad.text+0x794): undefined reference to `pcre_compile'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [tt++] Error 1

I have... no idea what to try next. Sorry to just dump this log here, but I haven't been getting this whole Linux thing to work for me for very long, so I'm truly stumped.
Slysven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it thet the ./configure stage worked OK (once you sourced those missing extras)?

A quick glance looks like this is failing at the last step of the "make" (not the "make install" which is usually best to do seperately but I guess invokes the main "make" if it hasn't been done) where the linking is done to pull all the .o object files and the external libraries calls into the single tt++ executable. This looks like the references to functions in the zlib library (the "inflate..." ones) and to the pcre are not being resolved.

Try a "make clean" then repeat the "./configure", "make" and if that goes OK the "make install"...
valan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the dev packages for zlib and pcre might need to be installed.
karvec

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you run "sudo apt-get build-dep tintin++"? Try doing that, then ./configure and compile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: