TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

map insert with more than two exits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Markar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: map insert with more than two exits Reply with quote

I'm trying to map an area that has double length north/south and normal length diagonals, so with the following example:

2 3 4

The 3 room does not actually exist, and in order to map 5->1 correctly, I tried walking north and #map insert south void. This allows me to create the proper double length 5->1 exit, but it's actually a new room, so I have two 3 rooms stacked on top of each other. The problem appears when I tried to move 5->2->1->3, and then that room is actually a different room at location 3.

The help file for map insert says to only use it with 2-exit rooms, but is there a way to use it in a situation like this? My first attempt was by using #map insert north void at 5, and hoping it would connect to 1 automatically. Unfortunately, #map insert doesn't work in that situation, giving me an error that there is no room in that direction. Am I just misusing this command?
Slysven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well assuming you have two rooms, say A and B;
Code:
[A]
 |
 |
[B]
if you are in B and use #MAP INSERT N, an extra room (C) will be inserted:
Code:
[A]
 |
 |
[C]
 |
 |
[B]
And you can then goto C and flag it as a void room (#MAP ROOMFLAG VOID ON).
Code:
[A]
 |
 |
 |
 |
 |
[B]
The important thing is that [A] has to be there before you can insert [C] in between. If there are already other paths between A and B then you will proably have to insert other void rooms to get the spacing right, the only sign you may get that you need to do this is that as you move around the map, it seems to distort and rooms appear and disappear as they overlap (try to appear in the same space). For example consider:
Code:
[A]---[B]
 |    |
 |    |
[C]---[D]
 |    |
 |    |
[E]---[F]
If we insert one between A & C but not B & D what is displayed depends on where we are, eg at A we may get:
Code:
###---[B]
 |    |
 |
[F]
 |
 |    |
[C]---[D]
 |    |
 |    |
[E]---[F]
But at D:
Code:
[A]--
 |
 |
[F]  -[B]
 |    |
 |    |
[C]---###
 |    |
 |    |
[E]---[F]
Perhaps what you need is from your [1] do a #MAP DIG {s} {new} to get [2] and #MAP DIG {se} {new} to get [3], then #MAP GOTO {3} and #MAP DIG {e} {new} for [4] and #MAP DIG {sw} {new} for 5, #MAP GOTO {5}, #MAP DIG {n} to link up to [2], finally #MAP GOTO {2}; #MAP ROOMFLAG VOID ON to hide [2] to make 1-5 and 5 to 1 a single move:
Code:
[1]
 | \
 |   \
{2}   [3]---[4]
 |   /
 | /
[5]
{2} will not be visible at this point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: