TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

Improvements to Completion and FIFOs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LokiChaos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Improvements to Completion and FIFOs Reply with quote

How about a more bash/zsh-like command completion? You can define root commands (akin to whatever is in $PATH) and standard arguments to each command, eg:

#tab {cast} {fireball, 'cure light', sleep, 'cure blindness'};

then if you do c[TAB] it will cycle through auto complete entries starting with c, if you keep cast, press space, then s[TAB] it would autocomplete sleep. If there are no matches, of if it has cycled through them then it can start pulling from the scrollback.

This would make tab-completion vastly more powerful.

Or a more simple request, if it is not already possible, can tab completion pull from command history as well as the main buffer?

Another request is support for fifo's. I know there are provisions for one tt++ session to interact with another, but I was thinking of something more flexible. fifo nodes could be useful.

Basic syntax: #fifo {type} {path}

type can be input or output, path is the path to the fifo node. you can #kill fifo {path} to remove a fifo

tintin would read from input fifos and treat them as entered commands.
eg: echo "look north" > ~/tintin.in

tintin would send output from the game/anything that appears in the buffer to the output fifo.
eg: cat tintin.out | grabURLs.pl > urls.log

This also would allow for more complex things like cat tintin.out | somescript > tintin.in which would let you use basically use anything that can handle streams or read/write to fifos. This is more flexible than #script/#run/#system or using #read to pull the output of a file.

Output support is easy, I think it would be basically just logging to a fifo instead of a normal file. Input fifos might be a little trickier.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really in the mood to mess with tab completion.

I'm not a fan of the fifo idea, but you can tail a file with #run {name} {tail -f <filename>} and set up triggers to do something with it.
LokiChaos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand not wanting to mess with tab completion, bash/zsh completion is quite complex (also why it's rather slow in bash/zsh).

I think I might write my own patch for fifo, at least for an input fifo. For output fifo's I can probably just use #log to an existing fifo and let things read from that. I want to be able to have external scripts be able to push commands rather than just have a #ticker poll for commands in a file queue.

I have a system somewhat like that now where I have tintin++ call a script that writes commands to a temp file, then tintin++ does a #read to execute them, then deletes the temp file, but this isn't very elegant method of IPC. I was thinking that fifo's would provide a good method of IPC for things like GUIs and other persistent programs that have their own event loops.

Edit: I will also need to find a solution for output, as #log append output.fifo crashes tintin++ when other processes stop reading form it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: