TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

Newbie with map

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
max

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Newbie with map Reply with quote

Maybe i"m too stupid .... but i"m not able to do the most basic things with #map.

I mapped out the streets of my hometown. Sof war so good, that worked. But most rooms are buildings which are accessible from the streets with the "enter" command.

For example here a room description:
Quote:
Abyss lane [Exits: east, west][Enters: church, town hall]

Abyss lane continues to the east and west. To the north is the entrance to the western wing of the cathedral of Aberach. And to the south is
the entrance to the western wing of the Grymxoria town hall. A large skywalk extends between the cathedral and the town hall. Between the two
buildings the central courtyard of the Church - Town Hall complex can be seen.

This means if i "enter church" i go into the building (which has several rooms and floors). The "out" command is the opposite direction. If i"m in the church and type "out" i"m in the street again.

Now my question: How do i connect two rooms with "enter" and "out"? I tried with

Quote:
#map exit n command {enter church}

Which gives me an error "#MAP: Exit {n} not found.". Using "#map insert n void" provides "#MAP: There is no room in that direction."

Since the buildings are usually bigger than the matching rooms in the street (in the example if i"m in the church and go 1 south i"m on the opposite side of the street - which would be 2 rooms) i would like to connect the street entrance to the buildings. any idea how i would do that?

My basic question is - how to i connect rooms which are not connected with basic directions (e, s, w, ...). Something like "enter cave", " jump cliff" etc.?
Slysven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That error message: #MAP: Exit {n} not found is because there IS not a n exit (only an "enter church" one!), use the basic direction commands and THEN you can use the #MAP EXIT {n} COMMAND ... Off the top of my head I'd suggest that if you are in the street and the entrance to the building is (will be) north of you, you use:
Code:
#MAP DIG {n} {new}
to create the new room, and whilst still out in the street you use:
Code:
#MAP EXIT {n} COMMAND {#SEND enter church}
then you can just type "n" and TinTin++ will actually send "enter church" to achieve that, and then when in the church you set the corresponding:
Code:
#MAP EXIT {s} COMMAND {#SEND out}
You can also NOT use the "#SEND " in the command argument but then the "enter church" or "out" will also be checked for any matches to your #ALIASes first before it gets sent out. If you do use the #MAP EXIT <dir> COMMAND {commands} and wish to revert to the default behaviour you must replace the {commands} with the normal <dir> so the above example would be reset with:
Code:
#MAP EXIT {n} COMMAND {n}

Also, if the building has more "rooms" or locations than say the road running along side it don't forget you can use (in this case)
Code:
#MAP INSERT {direction which here would be "e" or "w"}
to 'stretch' or add extra rooms to the left or right which you can then turn into "void" rooms by using
Code:
#MAP ROOMFLAG VOID ON
inside them so that you move straight through from one entrance/exit to the other (void rooms can have ONLY TWO exits) but can be linked one to another in any direction. In the ASCIIGraphics map drawing mode void rooms look like extra long versions of the paths that are drawn normally between rooms. So for instance your map building might go:
Start, in street, church not "built" yet
Code:

-[1]---[2]---###---[4]---[5]--

Build entrance to church with "dig", and add the command to enter it:
Code:

[ ]
              |
              |
-[1]---[2]---###---[4]---[5]--

Enter the church (you can do this now just by sending "n" and build the rooms required (I'll give 'em a +++ symbol as it is a church Smile and not forgetting to set the "out" command.
Code:

+++--###--+++
              |
              |
-[1]---[2]---[3]---[4]---[5]--

Then returning to the street (at "3") you can insert a room left and right to accommodate the church being 3 rooms wide:
Code:

+++--+++--+++
                    |
                    |
-[1]---[2]---[A]---###---[B]---[3]---[4]--

After going to rooms A and B and flagging them as void:
Code:

+++--+++--+++
                    |
                    |
-[1]---[2]---------###---------[3]---[4]--

In the above examples "###" represent the room you are currently in - I cannot recall if that is how it is currently shown as I've hacked my source code and it draws a flashing smiling face there instead! Personally, I've been severely abusing the room drawing code and I'm currently trying to design in more flexible map graphics for the default, ASCII and MUD_FONT map modes so all three will draw void and normal rooms better with a free monospaced Unicode font that I can add the required glyphs (characters) into the "Private Use" area.

Hope this helps you, even if only a bit...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: