TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

GUI for tintin++

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rothsdad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: GUI for tintin++ Reply with quote

is there a possible to develop a GUI for tintin++?

I know tintin is very perfect now in CLI mode.

But I prefer to developing a GUI version.

If so, I can help! Smile
sj

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should be reasonably easy once terminal emulation is done. The code is nice and clean. I'd be interested in helping. Would you like to discuss it further? I have Skype/email/IRC.
Slysven

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that this likely to even make it onto the to do list. Speaking personally can I make the observation that a GUI starts to become very dependent on what you are running TinTin++ (or anything else) on. I have mooted using the NCURSES library, which I believe is widely known and availble, which could provide a way to handle multiple windows (and menus) and thus provide much of which I think you would be looking for in a pseudo-GUI manner. What platforms are you looking to support? I suppose it may be possible to develop something that acts as a GUI add-on but how do you propose to proceed?

(You may wish to review: wintin95 1.73 that forked off and last updated around 1999, and wintin.net [3.03 announced november 2011] - both of these Windows graphical forks have seemingly whethered. Now, being open source you are perfectly entitled to take this code and mangle it for your own purposes [I know, I do!] but can what you want be achieved without forking away from here?) Neutral
sj

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think trying to maintain a GUI in the same code base as TinTin++ would be productive or maintainable long-term.

It's very easy to create cross-platform GUIs without installation hassles by statically linking to the Qt libraries so I'd go for support on every (desktop) platform that Qt supports. I'm sorry if it seems I'm hijacking your thread Rothsdad, I'm just speaking hypothetically.

I think it would be in everyone's interest to keep TinTin++ as the primary focus, adding features to that before pushing them to the GUI fork, where appropriate.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easiest would be to take a terminal emulator and enhance it with a GUI command set.

Areas of interest:

A command to split the terminal into various regions, this can currently be done with tmux but is somewhat tedious.

A command to display bitmap images, including the ability to display a small section of a larger bitmap image.

A command to create clickable images and buttons. (This requires a command for the terminal to communicate back to the client.)

A command to make text clickable.

Biggest advantage is that it would (in theory) work with most console clients.
tangobravo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehe... this is actually something I've been looking at for a long time, and done a fair amount of research / experimentation with.

There are ALOT of other open-source programs out there that could be merged together and fill in the gaps with TinTin++ to accomplish something like this.... but the biggest problem, I think, is the multi-platform. It isn't that multi-platform GUI libraries don't exist; it is that the back-end of how they would function (terminal emulation) isn't nearly as standardized/easy, from my experience.

The thought I've been considering lately would be the creating JUST a sort of simplistic "wrapper" GUI for it... Or maybe making select-able "backends" to enable specific features (for linux, for example, using Tmux or just a straight terminal emulator like gnome-term or Terminator).. Then you could adapt it at that level, and just wrap it up inside the GUI.

Anyhow, just some thoughts I've had rattling around in my head for a while.. figured I'd throw 'em out there!
sj

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the complexity of creating a cross-platform terminal emulator.

I've not assessed the quality or completeness of this, but it looks like a decent amount of effort as been made on this: http://qtermwidget.cvs.sourceforge.net/qtermwidget/

If it's good, it would significantly reduce development time.
g0rm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also look into http://www.wxwidgets.org/, which work in Windows, OS X, Linux and UNIX.
tangobravo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, wxWidgets are my favorite multi-platform GUI package.... They lend themselves very easily to making wrappers for CLI applications, in nearly any programming environment.
sj

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Qt and wxWidgets are mature and complete enough for the choice between them not to matter.
sj

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a play around with QTermWidget and it's perfect, the guy's done a great job Smile.
valan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not hard to wrap tintin++ using libvte. Shouldn't be too much more effort to add some menus or buttons or stuff and make them useful in some way.
tangobravo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, libvte is somewhat what I had in mind. In fact, I believe it is used by Terminator (and even gnome-terminal) already.
fleeting

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to see this idea put into action. I can't code but I sure would cheer for everyone. Smile
ixle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've been pondering over is a web interface for any manner of internet-connected devices to Tintin++ running on a server on a host of *nix flavor. This would eliminate many of the environment issues of installation and operation. I'm thinking of something along the lines of a holy trinity of Tintin++, Tmux, and Ajaxterm.

This would allow a person, or mud, to adapt Tintin++ as a web-based server to interface with the host of their choice. I've hacked together all the pieces so that I can connect to a guest account and instantly be given a tmux session with Tintin++ running a set of scripts for a particular mud as a proof-of-conecept. It's slow and jerky, needs real coders lubrication.

I think this would be not only be simpler, but forward-looking as devices continue to change, emerge, and evolve. Cloud-tintin++ anyone?

* Edit *

One thing I left out is that tmux allows any manner of commands to be passed to any pane/window/session that is running, so you could create any manner of html based wrappers and interact with any running tintin++ client/session.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: