TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

Server Side

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would people find a remote web-based version of tintin++ that saved their scripts in a database online helpful?
This would be great! We could make a huge script depository that way.
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
It wouldn't be fast enough if it was running remotely.
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Maybe if you created some limitations to it's connecting capability for security reasons
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

Sabirvesek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Server Side Reply with quote

I'm looking for a way to enable full mud client functionality on a web based client. Is there a way to install tintin++ on a web server host and pipe the input output to a webpage display?

Additionally if this can be done, can separate sessions be created without allowing the different users to access each others scripts and connections?

And can I make tintin++ send the users originating IP as it's identifier to the mud without confusing the socket connection to the server? So mud admins can still differentiate the players by ip if they have rules against multiplaying?

Or is there a better option somebody knows for this intended use?
tangobravo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured I'd chime in with my two cents....

I've done this myself, in the past -- it is definitely handy! Especially when you are away from your own PC and may not have terminal access (or program install / access capability, even) but do have WEB access.

The "easiest" most seamless way I've found to do it is to connect to my home-based computer system (I have a low power PC on 24/7 which acts as a router / local server / etc), running Linux, with TinTin installed. Using that, I can SSH or even Telnet in from anywhere and start a mud session. My mud DOES have strict anti-multiplaying rules, so this still retains the look and connection info to the mud of my normal connection, and doesn't raise any red flags.

Now how to tie this in with "web-based"...? Easiest way I found -- there are actually a fair amount of web-based SSH (or Telnet) clients out there. I utilize one of these to get direct access to my home system's terminal -- effectively, running TinTin++ natively through a webpage =) Granted, you're using this "third party" web client as the conduit to your system, so be sure you trust them and the security involved.

A slight spin on that scenario, perhaps more inline with what you're possibly looking for: there are some open source projects that you can actually host on your own web-server to create a private terminal environment... some do it in Java, others even in AJAX / direct to web page elements (though I have yet to find one of these that actually has very good performance, without pretty substantial tweaks).

Anyhow -- hope that gives you some good info!
Artthou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how to vote on this, but I am a thumb up!

I did some work with a Java Client called NFMCA to get it hosted on my MUD's website, but being Java, would be quite a bit of work to build Tintin, or another fully featured client into it (I didn't fully investigate Java mud clients, so there may be some that would be better options).

You can see the presentation of NFMCA here:

imperium.genesismuds.com/NFMCA

The other option I considered was to build tintin++ right into the MUD itself, so people logging in could choose to use it or not, and save that character's tintin stuff off to the server. They would be constrained to the built in editting tool of the game, but that would be one way to go. Players who do powerful things with tintin will likely be connecting from their own version anyway.

Thanks for the post!
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered for a while to offer limited shell accounts that allow running a variety of editors and tintin++.

Each individual would get a user name and password to login to their account. It'd take up too much of my time to manage that however.

Using MSDP (http://tintin.sf.net/msdp) you can forward your IP address, though it'd be fairly easy to fake it.
ixle

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking about this quite a bit too. I already use the ssh method (made especially easy with tmux) to connect from anywhere, and I've played around with AJAX and similar things to see what a web based interface would be like. I think there is a lot of potential to running tintin as a server, and creating client interfaces for it from multiple devices.

Now...
I just realized you can pass commands right into a tmux session/window/pane. Since I am always running tintin inside of a tmux session (easy to automate), I am planning to do some work and see if I can't create a web based interface that not only replicates the display of tintin, but allows you to pass commands right into the tmux pane that contains tintin.

I will report back with how this goes. One thing that I can forsee being useful is the ability to log all data displayed inside the active session, including tintin error messages and internal stuff. Right now some messages seem to be trggerable (able to be #line logged) but some are not, particularly from the map I think.
ixle

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

link broken for now

Last edited by ixle on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
karvec

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyterm... It's been done. parimd.com offers that service... Anyterm, full ssh, etc...

First month free.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of pricey at $60 a year.
karvec

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't complain when it has a 25 ms ping to my mud. Wink
daftna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run parimd. I've been exploring the idea of having a yearly period, what do you think it should be? The service is very new and is much like Scandum's idea. There are some plans to have more to the web version than just an anyterm window.

To answer the OP, this can be done with a few different projects -- I used Anyterm, but there are several others out there. You need to make sure you have a (fairly long) list of dependencies and need a little mod_proxy finesse in apache but it's a very nice program once you get it up and running.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to tell how much people are willing to spend. Maybe $10 for 3 months and $30 for one year?

If you offer additional shell services it should be more appealing as well. As browser technology has its limitations people would want to be able to connect with PuTTY.
ixle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep thinking the muds themselves should host the servers for people to connect to and run tintin. They already have similar infrastructure to maintin, and it could even be a profit model for sustaining the rest of the mud. This will become ever more useful as players/potential players transition away from pcs to mobile devices.

At least that's how it looks from where I'm standing.
ixle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scandum,

How would all the licensing issues play out if a mud decided to charge players for shell accounts (or something very similar) and then provided access to customized scripts for Tintin++ or even customized Tintin++ source code?
daftna

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't thought of doing a 3 month option, and that was the number I was thinking for the yearly option. I was aiming for it to be a little more than a static IP for one's home for the monthly option. Thanks for the suggestion, I really appreciate it! The Anyterm page is just a portal to the server -- the main access route is SSH (both ports 22 and 443) so PuTTY works.

Yeah, it seems like muds could really benefit from having their own SSH access for pay. The really nice thing about that from a player prospective is instant triggers -- playing a mud from the same box is exhilarating. On the con side for a mud if they don't have a good system to buffer commands they could find themselves using a lot of CPU.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ixle wrote:
Scandum,

How would all the licensing issues play out if a mud decided to charge players for shell accounts (or something very similar) and then provided access to customized scripts for Tintin++ or even customized Tintin++ source code?

That's all allowed under GPL 2 which tt++ falls under. GPL 3 would be a different story as I think they'd have to provide the source code if they used a customized version.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: