TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

Large GMCP messages

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Bug Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Large GMCP messages Reply with quote

Hello.

Larger GMCP messages cause wintin++ to crash as below:

Code:
DEBUG_STACK[000] = read_buffer_mud(0x5ba4c0)
DEBUG_STACK[001] = translate_telopts(0x5ba4c0,0x227e24,8987)
DEBUG_STACK[002] = recv_sb_gmcp(0x5ba4c0,13367,0x5a5ad8)

Although it took me a while to track down what caused this, the original error unfortunately happened naturally during gameplay. It was specifically caused by having a large number of separate items in Achaea being sent in a single Char.Items.List message. Originally, this happened due to there being a large number of distinct items in the room, and it was later recreated by adding more and more distinct items to a character's inventory until the crash could be replicated.

Looking over the source code for more information, I see the loop that gathers the raw JSON will function up to cplen times (in this case, 13367), does not heed BUFFER_SIZE at all, and will (in the case of the message causing the problem) write more than cplen bytes to the buffer, allowing for a potential buffer overflow even if cplen < BUFFER_SIZE.

I don't know if the loop that parses the JSON data also behaves this way, since I haven't read through it all to figure out how it works, but I suspect it might.
ixle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this is related to the crashes listed here.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put it on my todo list.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is possibly caused by using %0 twice, or using both %0 and %1 in the same event.

TinTin has a buffer limit of 20K, so either increase this to 40K in tintin.h or make sure you only have one %0 in the event body.

I might add infinite buffers one day, but it'd be somewhat of an undertaking.
nya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that fixed it, thanks! The fact I even had two %0s at all was an oversight on my part, but I didn't even think that that'd have caused it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Bug Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: