TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

#regex - change &1, &2 etc to %1, %2, etc?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrbigtaco

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: #regex - change &1, &2 etc to %1, %2, etc? Reply with quote

Is there a technical reason for why the #regex results are stored in &1, &2, etc binding points instead of %1, %2, etc like all the other parts of tt? I had some early experience attempting to use #regex for parsing text after capturing it from the mud (inside actions, loops, etc) but ended up running into mutex problems with the results in &1, &2, etc being overwritten by other #regexs firing in other places before I could read the values inside the code block in which they belonged. At least if they were %1, %2, etc they should have guaranteed local scope?

From my perspective it seems like there's a strong case for converting based on:
1) would be more consistent with the conventions used by other tt commands
2) should enforce local variable scope - no more mutex concerns
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have the same problem if % was used.

One work around is storing the values in a variable. I guess I could make the variables local. I'll add it on my todo list as a project for a rainy day.
mrbigtaco

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have just not tried hard enough, but so far values in %1, %2, etc have remained valid within a single #action / #alias block, even when looped over (haven't yet had a problem with them being overwritten by something else). In my testing with #regex's &1, &2, etc the values were being overwritten before I could store them in a local variable, so it was a fairly big problem to not even get a chance to read them. I interpreted this as because of &1, &2, etc style being more like global pointers, but that's without digging in to the code to see what's actually going on for a post mortem.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're nesting a regex inside another regex try using &&1 &&2 for the 2nd regex.
mrbigtaco

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the specific case I was having problems with was something like

#alias somealias {
#regex (
do stuff to process
)
call somealias recursively with more stuff to process
}

The process was being kicked off by an action grabbing text to process, and then feeding it into the alias to recursively process- it's a lot simpler to use the regex to do the processing, but for whatever reason the results became unpredictable in a hurry (even with debug statements to see what the input to the regexs were and taking into account valid matches, the contents of &1, etc inside the body of the regex were values from other code blocks, completely unrelated).
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to see an example, but there's probably some work around using a stack or a variable to store the result.
Slysven

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it unreasonable to consider whether there could be local variables on a more general basis? For use inside #FUNCTIONS and #ALIAS perhaps? Particularly for the former where one goes to the care of passing in values when it is called, it seems un-"Function-like" that it can use/change ANY variable and as I have found in the past it can be awkward if one is using a #FUNCTION recursively to avoid variable name collisions with other instances of the same function. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: