TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

#map link {exit} [vnum|roomname]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrbigtaco

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: #map link {exit} [vnum|roomname] Reply with quote

A lot of the reverse dirs that tintin adds automatically when mapping are great, but I find myself frequently doing versions of the following for one off rooms with a perhaps nonstandard exit:

#map dig enter
enter
#map info
(look for vnum of room I just dug enter from)
#map link {out} {1234}

Would it be possible for #map link's vnum/name argument to be optional and the default behavior when not specified for it to assume the vnum of the previously occupied room? I know I could create a user space hack for this, but it seems like this could be a legitimate quality of life improvement if it's not a major technical issue. Would be nice to instead quickly type:

#map dig enter
enter
#map link out

And not have to worry about human error when typing in the vnum, hunting through the exits, etc. I have inadvertently linked two vastly separated areas of my mud map by transposing digits in the past and it made for a pretty wild ride when I least expected it.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could create a pathdir: #path {enter} {out};#path {out} {enter}

For last room vnum:

#event {MAP EXIT ROOM} {#var lastroom %0}
mrbigtaco

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right- you could do a complete user space hack of this (and some day I might - some pseudo code like #event map enter room #var prevvnum roomvnum #map get roomvnum roomvnum and then an alias .map link to provide an adapter to the #map link interface).

The straightforward solution of pathdirs on my mud is not an option because if it's not a standard exit (n,s,e,w,etc) then there are no set rules on pairs or reversedirs... it could be in, out, enter, leave, ascend, descend, ladder, stairs, hallway, door, or any other manner of exit which could be completely unpredictable. The one thing that is predictable though is that the first thing I do after #map dig and going into that exit is to look for a reverse exit. Using pathdirs would actually create more work via an added step for #map unlink and so forth to set things properly.
tangobravo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main MUD is more or less the same as yours (non-standard or non-conventional exits, etc), and I actually did what you were talking about with a set of user-created aliases, etc.. In fact, I keep an entire class of aliases / actions to make the mapping process a little more "friendly" to my mud, and just turn it on / off when I know I'm mapping out areas. It works out pretty good, and you can tailor your own functionality quite well. I highly recommend this route =)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: