TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

How to avoid idle timeout...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
galactahack

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: How to avoid idle timeout... Reply with quote

So I'm on a mud that allows for long inactivity while crafting. However, they forbid any scheduled command that would serve as a keep-alive while afk. While crafting, the normal idle boot of ~14 minutes is stayed.

When I craft, I turn on #ignore, then go on my merry way. However, the connection dies after a bit. The one time I measured it, it was 71 minutes.

Is WinTin (I'm using that implementation) dropping the connection? If so, is there a way to configure WT/TT++ to allow long idles?

Thanks.
Slysven

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How to avoid idle timeout... Reply with quote

galactahack wrote:
...However, they forbid any scheduled command that would serve as a keep-alive while afk...

Well, with a bit of care it would be entirely possible to fire off random emotes or status type commends with a #ticker with a random delay (that kills itself after firing once and starting a new one with a different command to perform at the time-out) it just depends on what you count as scheduled...! Twisted Smile

I must confess I'm not aware of any such timeout built into TinTin++ but as I play with a closed-loop game tic synchronisation system that sends a couple of 'time' messages in the background (either side of the window in which a MUD tic message might be expected to happen) I never idle out, so I do not know.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tt++ doesn't drop the connection.

You may be able to send a telnet command to keep your connection alive.

Code:

#tick {keepalive} {#send {\xFF\xFB\x1F\} {600}

Could try something like that.
Slysven

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One possibility you might want to check: I found one of my PCs was losing connectivity every so often and I eventually found out that the DCHP lease interval for that host was only an hour and after that time the link got forcibly dropped whilst a new IP lease (IP address on my LAN) was sorted out. For most connection types that was not too much of an issue but for some others the interruption was enough to terminate that connection. Changing the lease interval to a day worked so much better! Big Smile

If you are using IPv6 on Windoze 7 or later (and possibly XP?) it has another thing that could conceivably produce similar effects: in a somewhat dubious attempt to provide security, it will randomly change part of an automatically generated or link-local address but I do not know if that is on a time duration or just each time an interface is brought up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: