TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

Math: number variable not being treated as a number

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Bug Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
balthus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Math: number variable not being treated as a number Reply with quote

I appear to be having an issue with some variables not being recognised as numbers within #MATH calculations:

Code:
#echo >$mip[FFF][L][data]<

>82<

#math {testing} {$mip[FFF][L][data] * 35}

#MATH: VARIABLE {testing} HAS BEEN SET TO {0}.

#var {mip[FFF][L][data]} {82}

#OK. VARIABLE {mip[FFF][L][data]} HAS BEEN SET TO {82}.

#echo >$mip[FFF][L][data]<

>82<

#math {testing} {$mip[FFF][L][data] * 35}

#MATH: VARIABLE {testing} HAS BEEN SET TO {2870}.

It appears that the variable is initially holding the value in a non-numeric format of some kind. Is there a way I can force #MATH to parse a variable as a number, or convert the field type to numeric?

I've tried #FORMAT {blah} {%d} but it will not recognise the "non-number" value and puts in 0. The field length reported by #FORMAT is 2, so I'm assuming there's no weird non-display characters attached.

I tried using #FORMAT %r to reverse the field, and I get:

Code:
#OK. VARIABLE {test} HAS BEEN SET TO {m0[8}.

...which reverses back to 82.

I'm having the issue on a fresh compile of version 2.01.3, previously had the same issue with 2.01.1 on Ubuntu 17.04
balthus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found with more experimentation that I did have something attached to the end of the field, by looping through the field with #PARSE:

Code:

#parse {$mip[FFF][L][data]} {char} {#showme $char}

[
m

I found a work around to trim off the extra data, which uses parse to only return the number of characters reported by FORMAT string length.

Code:

#FUNCTION {fCleanData}
{
  #FORMAT {_fC[len]} {%L} {%1};
  #VAR {result} {};
  #PARSE {%1} {_fC[char]} {#MATH {_fC[i]} {$_fC[i]+1};#IF {$_fC[i] <= $_fC[len]} {#VAR {result} {$result$_fC[char]}}};
  #UNVAR {_fC};
}

It's not a great solution though (and will only work if the non-display stuff is at the end of the field)...is there an easier way of cleaning off non-display characters?
PowerGod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you get the content of that variable ?

Maybe you can try cleaning it with "#line strip"
balthus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The variable is captured from a mud info system by a pretty complex script, something I wrote years ago that used to work fine.

Thanks for the tip on #LINE strip, I wasn't aware of that one...I'll have a think if I can use it in this case.
PowerGod

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread could be related to your issue:
http://tintin.sourceforge.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=2431

It could be linked to the use of "#config color patch"
balthus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's almost certainly the problem...the control data that I'm extracting that value from does not respect lineends/carriage returns (it is intended to be gagged) which would explain the weirdly variable nature of the results I was seeing.

Either way, #LINE STRIP fixed the issue more cleanly than my work around, so I'm happy Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Bug Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: