TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

Map again...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evil.r2d2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Map again... Reply with quote

Hi!

I have a little problem with the mapper. I have two maps, lets call them map-a.map and map-b.map.

Map-a looks like that:

#--#--#--#
1 2 3 4

When i enter location 4, i want tintin to load map-b.map. I tried
#map exit e command {#map read map-b.map;#map goto 1} on location 3, but it doesn't work. File is loaded, but it seems to place my character on random map location, and the map freezes like when nofollow flag is on (even that it's off ;] ).

Any ideas how to solve this? Thanks in advance!
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using one map will solve the problem. If you want to give the impression of two different maps use:

#map exitflag e hide

If you want to completely separate the maps place a void room in between and set the avoid and hide flag.

If you want to stick with the multi-map approach try:

#map exit e command {#delay 0 {#map read map-b.map;#map goto 1}}
evil.r2d2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for a quick response. It has been more than helpful.

I have one more question - is there any way to edit the map after it has been created (move rooms etc.)?
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can edit the map file, it's in plain text. A command for moving rooms is on my todo list.
Slysven

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some notes on editing maps:

An important, and a very powerful, thing to remember about TinTin++'s mapper is that it is ENTIRELY relative. The rooms are drawn each time the screen is updated based on the linkage ('link' a.k.a. 'exit') between each room and the starting point (the current room at the on-screen centre of the map display). This means that a room can be moved by deleting the links to its immediate neighbouring rooms and relinking to where it's new ones are (#MAP UNLINK / LINK), NOT FORGETTING TO RELINK TO EACH OTHER THE OLD NEIGHBOURS AS REQUIRED! Of course, the screen will update (if you've got the VTMAP mode on) immediately and rooms will disappear and appear from the screen as you break and make those links - so make a note of the vnumbers for the rooms (and the neighbours) concerned before you begin. It also means that if there is more than one route linking two places and the routes are not the same geometrically then you can expect the map to distort and 'warp' as you move around it depending on which route is actually used to draw the map which depends on (at least) the starting (centre) room on each occassion.

Don't forget the #MAP INSERT & UNINSERT commands that can quickly add a room between two existing ones / delete same.

When tweaking your map you will find that #MAP INFO is your friend - especially the patched version I posted elsewhere on this forum that also reports the rooms that exit INTO the room that you are investigating. It can get confusing if, because of manual tweaking with the #MAP LINK / UNLINK, you have multiple links (particulary leading into) a room.

If all the rooms are supposed to be linked to each other, you can use the #MAP LIST without any arguments and note the reported distance to each room from the current one. 'Orpahaned' rooms that you may have lost (ie having NO links to the current room) will have a distance of (by default 500) so you can use this to identify rooms that you ought to check for linkage into the rest of your map (though the WoTMUD one I'm working on is so large that currently some rooms ARE legitimately more than 500 rooms apart AND rooms with the AVOID flag set won't be used to link parts of a map together) so its not a foolproof means of finding rooms that have 'droppped off the map' but a good starting point.

Aside:
Sometimes I want to add a new room that is not immediately linked to an existing one (say the MUD has picked me up and dumped me somewhere new that I haven't previously mapped and I want to start mapping THAT area even though I don't know precisely how it links to previous area). It is possible to #MAP DIG <random direction> {new}; #MAP GOTO <new room number; #MAP UNLINK <opposite direction> {both}. Is there an easier way to do the same, like say #MAP DIG {new} all on it's own creating a new room AND jumping to it without creating a link to previous room?
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's somewhat cumbersome but you can use:

#map dig tmp
#map get roomvnum vnum
#map unlink tmp
#map goto $vnum

A special command / option would be nice, but if I go down that route we'll end up with so many commands / options nobody will remember what is what.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: