TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

Is it possible to run TT++ in Android OS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fieldrain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Is it possible to run TT++ in Android OS Reply with quote

A mobile or PAD running Android OS which stems from Linux is very popular today. Is it possible to compile and install tintin++ in Android? Or to develop a special version of tintin++ for Android?
If it's OK, I will buy an Android mobile.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone has gotten tt++ running on Android before, but I have no idea what all is involved.

I'd suggest using your mobile phone to ssh to a Linux server, and run tt++ from there. Use the screen program if you have a crappy connection.
tangobravo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Scandum's suggestion -- I have been doing basically that for a few years now. Here are a couple of my thoughts on this, based on my experiences:

* This method is most-ideal due to the fact that cell phones can (and will) lose link intermittently, even in what may seem to be the strongest area. A web browser isn't affected by this - but a terminal application requiring a persistent connection sure is! Having it running on a remote "server" maintains the session connected to the mud even if you lose link (via an application like GNU Screen or Tmux).

* You can host the "linux server" yourself VERY very easily, even if you don't want to (or have) a dedicated server at home - even most standard PCs these days can easily run a VirtualBox (open-source / no cost) headless virtual machine with very very minimal resource use on the host machine to run a pure console environment for MUD'ing...

* Instead of retaining multiple "setups" for MUD'ing (the one on your phone, the one on your main PC, etc, etc), use the system you set up in this environment for your "main" setup. Can link from phones - or in the case of the desktop PC, of course, using a simple SSH client like PuTTY (available for pretty much EVERY platform... and there is a portable version you can keep on a thumb drive - play on any machine, even if it isn't installed!).

* I would recommend Tmux over GNU Screen, personally, due to its ability to more stably handle connection terminations (cell phones, regardless of carrier, are NOT perfect.. you will lose link, sometimes often).

* ConnectBot (in my experience) is the most stable SSH / Telnet app for Android. Even the "free" version is very nice indeed, and perfect for this scenario.

* If you're still in the process of choosing a device... I would HIGHLY recommend choosing one with a hardware QWERTY keyboard. Granted, that limits your device selection a bit -- but if you at all want to "enjoy" mudding on this type of a platform.. I think this is kindof a given, considering the heavy text / typing basis for this type of gaming. I have tried both.... and much as I love MUD'ing, I think I'd rather do just about anything than MUD for an extended period of time on a touch-based keyboard! (Unless it was a full blown tablet with a REALLY good virtual keyboard - but I haven't found any of those that I've liked, either).

Anyhow, just my two cents, as someone who has done quite a bit of "mobile MUD'ing"... if you want to try this but need a hand setting it up, let me know. Thumbs Up
ixle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a (crappy) screenshot of what has been discussed above.

Android device -> connectbot -> linux -> tmux -> aardwolf

Since the resolution of my 2 devices (pc and phone) are different, I had to create 2 different tmux startup scripts. When I leave home I kill the tmux session, pop open the phone, ssh in, and run my secondary tmux startup script. Voila, tmux opens up, splits the panes, and runs tintin in one pane, and tail -fs .1 in the other 2 panes (for chats/map).

If anyone would like more details on any of this they can PM me or respond to this post.

Rothsdad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, this is so cool!

Looking forward some details.
ixle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothsdad wrote:
wow, this is so cool!

Looking forward some details.

What details do you need?
Have you downloaded connectbot and successfully ssh'd into a linux machine with tt++ ?
valan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ixle wrote:
Have you downloaded connectbot and successfully ssh'd into a linux machine with tt++ ?

That's exactly what I do from my tablet
taizong

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there still no Android OS port available? I have several friends that currently MUD from their phone, and apparently there's no good mud client available from the Google (or Apple for that matter) store.
taizong

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So none of you guys know how to compile tintin++ / make it available on Android?

I'm somewhat surprised tintin++ is available in the FreeBSD ports tree (well, very, very pleased that it is) but that there's no version available for Android?
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to go about it is to ssh to a Linux server and run tt++ remotely. If you don't want to be disconnected when your connection drops you can run tt++ within screen.
taizong

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scandum wrote:
The best way to go about it is to ssh to a Linux server and run tt++ remotely. If you don't want to be disconnected when your connection drops you can run tt++ within screen.

Oh yeah, I know that, but the fact that there is no native Android client... while there are other MUD clients offered on Android OS just seems like a shame to me (especially since they suck, and tintin++ rules.)

Yes, I can ssh to my own server and run tintin++ (which is what I do) but I would love to be able to recommend tintin++ to my friends who are playing from their phone and using Android OS. (Also, the Ouya game console will be running Android OS and having tintin++ available would be sweet.)

Heck, couldn't someone throw it up on the Android store and charge 99c for it and donate that money to Scandum or something (as well as providing the source for free)? There's probably a little money to be made...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: