TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

Tab Complete Punctuation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spunionring

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Tab Complete Punctuation Reply with quote

Is there any way to make tab complete (on scrollback) ignore punctuation? Whenever a word in my scrollback ends in a comma or period, the punctuation is included in my tabbing.
Slysven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My short, but not terribly well informed answer: I do not think there is a way in the current version.

I think I know what you mean, in practice I've found that if I make the correction (delete the not required punctuation) that sometimes, after a couple of times the system "learns" the word <i>san</i> punctuation that you want. I suppose that if the wrong one keeps turning up it may undo that learning but I do not personally (yet) understand whether there is a ranking of tab completion results depending on whether it is something that appears in the MUD output or whether it is something that you typed or selected...

Looking at the source I think it is the "get_arg_stop_space()" function in parse.c used at around line 1170 of cursor.c that determines what constitutes a word to be used for TAB completion... However that information probably won't be much use to you. If the system can be refined to discard punctuation or allow additional characters besides white-space to delimit "words" I suppose we may start to have problems with differences in languages as to what those additional characters are!

Don't forget, that if there are particular words or phrases that you find you frequently need to enter either with OR without additional characters, that you can specify them in advance with #TAB {word}. This also does work for multiple words as a phrase!

Anyhow just my two {select minor currency unit of your choice}'s worth.
spunionring

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, thanks for your reply! Smile

I am aware of #tab, however i often use tab on the fly to grab target names from scrollback.

It seems to prioritize the *last* version of a word that appears. So if you see the following:
Quote:
An orc is here.
You see an orc, ready for battle.

And then you hit o<tab> then you get "orc,"

However if you see the lines in the opposite order:
Quote:
You see an orc, ready for battle.
An orc is here.

and you hit o<tab> you get "orc".

There's a way in my Konsole Settings to set which characters are part of a word when double-clicking, so i was hoping for something similar for tab within tt++...

But in the meantime, i just hit tab and then backspace when needed...
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitting tab twice is also an option to cycle through the available matches. TinTin will be ignoring ending dots and commas for the next release.
spunionring

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<3
Slysven

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can this be configurable for other things like closing brackets ) or ] or }, apostrophes ' and speech marks " ?
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'd be too much work, and it's my goal to keep configuration, and subsequently documentation, to a minimum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: