TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

#read problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Bug Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adventurer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: #read problem Reply with quote

Hello.

I'm not sure if it is bug, but it looks like one for me.

When you #read file which content starts with '_', the "tintin char" in config will change to '_'.
Slysven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that is not a bug, it is a design feature! Big Smile

Given that a file will start with a command, typically an #ACTION if it has been written by TinTin++ itself, the very first character read will be the tintin command character, but if the user has specified something other than the default '#' then it has to assume that the first character it sees IS the command character so the configuration is set accordingly... Cool

{At this point I am starting to see a thought along the lines of the "Chicken and Egg" paradox!}

Ironically enough the point where a command character would otherwise be set is in the #CONFIG {TINTIN CHAR} entry which TinTin++ itself writes some way into a script file if it writes one out. The only other way to avoid such a paradox is to make this #CONFIG {TINTIN CHAR} entry (with that default leading '#') to always be the first command written in a script file... Totally Sweet (do you have any thoughts Mr. Scandum?)

One side effect of this that I have found is that in a M$ Windoze environment some text editors (notepad.exe for example) if told to save a file with Unicode encoding (for instance if you have set #CONFIG {CHARSET} {UTF-8} and want to use characters above the ASCII characters ranges 32-127 for map symbols) may set the very first thing in the file to be an invisible ByteOrderingMark (BOM) character which it won't show but can confuse TinTin++ as well as most "proper" *nix text handling programs. The upshot is that if given a file format choice to save a script for TinTin++ in by the text editor you use for scripts I would suggest either "ASCII" or "UTF-8 without BOM".

(In notepad.exe on my Windoze XP PC it offers "ASCII", "UTF-8" coding which adds this BOM, "Unicode" coding which produces UTC-2 Little Endian encoding and "Unicode big endian" UTC-2 Big Endian - none of which I think is what is wanted...)

For what it is worth I have found the free "Notepad++" a useful editor in this respect. Coffee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Bug Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: