TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

Getting text to blink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huhenyo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Getting text to blink Reply with quote

Hi, I tried to find this using search, but had no luck. In the Tintin manual under color codes, it mentions the VT100 codes in the <abc> parameter format. the 'a' it says can be "blink" (number 5), but I don't seem to get blinking text when I try to use it. For instance, I've tried #showme <501> orange, and the foreground and background colors come out right, but it doesn't blink.

What am I doing wrong?

Ultimately I would like to use the #highlight command to highlight text and make it blink. Is that possible?

Lastly, can you get text to blink when using the 256 colors? in the colors section of the manual it only mentions foreground and background.

Thank you so much everyone for your help over the years!

-Huhenyo
Slysven

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blink attribute is not supported by all terminal/console windows and can be disabled for others... you may need to do a little digging to find out what yours is capable of.

It may not seem obvious but the colour codes that set Bold (<1xx>), Underline (<4xx>), Blink (<5xx>) and Reverse (<7xx>) {and the Dim (<2xx>)} are cumulative until they get reset by a <0xx> which ALSO resets the colours - which I think also happens automagically at the end of a line of text if you don't do it before. So if you want to partially underline something but want it all bold you'd need to reset the underline and set the bold and wanted colours at the end of the underline bit, eg:
Code:
#echo {<831>This is in Yellow on a Red background, <188>bolded <488>and underlined<031><288> and this is <588>blinking<031><288>, dim and not underlined.}
For my terminal XTerm Version 284 on Cygwin the standard intensity after a <0xx> code is the same as the <2xx> dim code and I do have blink available although there are configuration settings to disable the latter.

For the 256 colours I think you'd get away with setting the colors and then using a <588> after to start it blinking. Coffee

P.S. Blink is very definitely NOT supported by the TinTin++ code that creates HTML format output for #LOG and #LINE {LOG} commands (chosen with #CONFIG {LOG} {PLAIN|RAW|HTML}) and I think neither are reverse and underline. I found that out the hard way after using both blink and reverse in my map... Embarassed
Huhenyo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info. I'm using Mintty and apparently blink is disallowed by default. I've got it working now. Thanks again!
Gawen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am somewhat confused about blink as well.

I am currently using rxvt as my terminal under Cygwin. After finding no luck on enabling blinking text with rxvt, I attempted to install/use urxvt.

My problem now is that for some reason I can't get my urxvt terminal to not be BRIGHT pink. I have a new .Xdefaults for urxvt, and even saw a thread somewhere online that mentioned the bright pink problem being caused due to white space after the urxvt*background/foreground color codes. There are no whitespaces after my color codes in my .Xdefaults, and it is still bright pink.

So basically, does anyone know how I might resolve either a) the bright pink issue, or b) enabling blinking in rxvt (or letting me know if it's for sure not supported)?

Sometimes I'm dumb, so if I'm missing something easy here, feel freel to call me an idiot.
Slysven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the issues for you with the granddaddy of them all, i.e. Xterm? It should be in Cygwin by default I think. Latest Cygwin version seems to be 285-1 at the time of writing this. Coffee

You may also find "xtermcontrol" useful to change various settings on the fly (i.e. the font which can include scaled ones served up by xft, fore and background colours) in an existing Xterm window, you can get it from here.

P.S. Reading a manual page for urxvt suggests that the "-is" or "+is" option (see "intensityStyles" part of the resources) may be relevant to the blinking/not blinking issue. Also can you check that you can override the resource file with command line specified colors by starting a new terminal from an existing one with "urxvt -bg black -fg white &" - I am beginning to wonder if you are starting these "pink" terminals by right clicking on the Cygwin/XServer icon in your system tray or equivalent and calling an entry off the "application" menu that specifies an urxvt invocation with odd values for the -fg and -bg - you might wish to check the .XWinrc file in your cygwin home directory for this, if so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: