TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

Where to find the stand alone cygwin1.dll file

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huhenyo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Where to find the stand alone cygwin1.dll file Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to get the cygwin1.dll without having to compile it from the setup install that you get from the cygwin website? When I use their setup.exe, I get all sorts of stuff, but I don't see a the .dll file. I've never created a .dll file, so I'm just wondering if there is a good place to just go and download one that someone has already created.

Thank you
Huhenyo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing a little more reading, it sounds like it is not recommended to download a stand alone .dll file. The reason I want to get the .dll file is related to my post in the Bug Report section of this forum. Wintin doesn't work right with Windows 7. The Mintty window stays open along with the actual window running the script.

After reading a bit on Google's Code forum it appears that build 1077 of the cygwin.dll will fix the problem, but I don't think the current install of Wintin has the updated .dll, so I'm trying to find how to get the updated .dll so I can replace the one that comes with the current install of Wintin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Slysven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The setup.exe file from the Cygwin site is the complete installation and on-line maintenance utility. It doesn't "compile" that .dll, instead you use it to install all the packages you want from that which is available from the Cygwin mirror server close to you), it also updates auto-magically those packages, and it will check and warn you if itself needs to be replaced by a later version each time you run it. It will put the cygwin1.dll in the /bin/ subdirectory of that which you select to install cygwin into. Other applications, including WinTin++ can come with a copy of that library which they put in their own directory alongside their own executable, but as you suspect you can usually replace an outdated application's copy of the library with a later one.

A quick and dirty way to get this library from a known good source is to find it in the "cygwin" bzipped file from a mirror, you will find it located at:
Code:
./release/cygwin/cygwin-<version>-<release>.tar.bz2
where:
. is the root of the cygwin mirror.
<version> is currently 1.7.17
<release> is usually 1
diving into the bzipped archive the cgywin1.dll will be in the /usr/bin subdirectory. Coffee

A better option if you have the space is to do a cygwin install and then you can compile and run TinTin++ in the cygwin subsystem which does offer some advantages to WinTin++ (working #run and #system commands!) Ecstatic

Of course, for the BEST environment to run TinTin++ in - you first want to burn a GNU/Linux distribution to a DVD and format the hard disk your MS Windoze system occupies ... Laughing
Huhenyo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the help. I appreciate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: