TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

spaces causing blank lines to be sent to the session

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Bug Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davevnj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: spaces causing blank lines to be sent to the session Reply with quote

I know we've had a few of these before, but just wanted to point out the following code, causes a carriage return to be sent to the session:
Code:
#ALIAS {autoheal}
{
   #IF {"$aff_prone" == "1"}
   {
      queue stand;
   } {
   #IF {"$aff_bleeding" == "1"}
   {
      queue clot;
   }; };
};

while the following does not:
Code:
#ALIAS {autoheal}
{
   {
      queue stand;
   } {
   {
      queue clot;
   };};
};

In my test, both IF conditions evaluate to false.
Note the difference in the second to last line.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: spaces causing blank lines to be sent to the session Reply with quote

You use ';'s where they shouldn't be used. Also, tintin is correctly sending a carriage return because that's what your code indicates. If it wasn't for a hack in the parser your script would actually be sending 4 carriage returns.

Try the following instead:

Code:
#ALIAS {autoheal}
{
   {
      queue stand
   } {
   {
      queue clot
   } }
}
davevnj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I just think like a programmer... ";" to me, means end of statement, rather than separate commands.
Code:
#alias {test}
{
        #IF {"$test1" == "1"}
        {
                #showme test1
        }
        #IF {"$test2" == "1"}
        {
                #showme test2
        }
}

gets translated into
Code:
#ALIAS {test}={#IF {"$test1" == "1"}{#showme test1}#IF {"$test2" == "1"}{#showme test2}} @ {5}

The parser knows to look for new statements while parsing the if, but look what happens when I throw a monkey wrench of doom:

Code:
#alias {test}
{
        #NOP Monkey Wrench of DOOM
        #IF {"$test1" == "1"}
        {
                #showme test1
        }
        #IF {"$test2" == "1"}
        {
                #showme test2
        }
}

Now the #NOP needs a ";" or the whole alias is commented out. The result is that I have to be very aware of when and where I'm putting my semi-colons. While that is ok, it would be nice if I could consistantly use them all over the place without worry. (Especially since some of the bigger #IF blocks are really going to need the commenting.)

I guess my only question is, if I eliminate the space as I did in the first example, will that "hack" always be there in the foreseeable future?
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davevnj wrote:
I guess I just think like a programmer... ";" to me, means end of statement, rather than separate commands.

Well, in c 99.9% of the programmers don't place semicolons after braces if it's not required, so you can consistently use semicolons if you exclude braces.

davevnj wrote:

I guess my only question is, if I eliminate the space as I did in the first example, will that "hack" always be there in the foreseeable future?

Semicolons after braces will likely end up breaking your scripts when I add support for pre-compiled scripts, that might be a while though.

The hack for semicolons at the end of command strings is likely to stay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Bug Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: