TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

Why do we call the TinTin++ executable "tt++"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slysven

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Why do we call the TinTin++ executable "tt++" Reply with quote

I was trying to make a configure.ac & Makefile.am pair so that I could try out the Autotool handling aspect of the QtCreator IDE (which needs these two files, configure.in, config.h.in and Makefile.in are not far enough up the autotool hierarchy to work).

I think I got a workable setup apart from one oddity: the '+' character does not seem to be a valid character to use as the executable's name - more specifically lines in the Makefile.am file of the form:
Code:
bin_PROGRAMS = tt++
tt++_SOURCES = action.c advertising.c ...
do not work whereas
Code:
bin_PROGRAMS = tt
tt_SOURCES = action.c advertising.c ...

are fine. I could not work out whether there was any form of quoting that would get around this. Confused

Do/did you use autoconf / automake Scandum (and if you did, how did you quote the "tt++"?)

Or does anyone else know how to get around this? I guess the GNU C/C++ compiler authors did or we wouldn't have g++ (though that might actually be a symlink...)
Slysven

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, found it:
In the GNU automake manual was wrote:
3.5 How derived variables are named

Sometimes a Makefile variable name is derived from some text the maintainer supplies. For instance, a program name listed in ‘_PROGRAMS’ is rewritten into the name of a ‘_SOURCES’ variable. In cases like this, Automake canonicalizes the text, so that program names and the like do not have to follow Makefile variable naming rules. All characters in the name except for letters, numbers, the strudel (@), and the underscore are turned into underscores when making variable references.

For example, if your program is named sniff-glue, the derived variable name would be ‘sniff_glue_SOURCES’, not ‘sniff-glue_SOURCES’. Similarly the sources for a library named libmumble++.a should be listed in the ‘libmumble___a_SOURCES’ variable.

The strudel is an addition, to make the use of Autoconf substitutions in variable names less obfuscating.
So I needed to use:
Code:
bin_PROGRAMS = tt++
tt___SOURCES = action.c advertising.c ...
Coffee
shevegen

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a symlink could be used, pointing from "tintin" to tt++

As for GNU automake, man you are brave, that thing is an abomination to work through.
Slysven

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let Richard Stallman hear you say that... Smirk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: