TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

Regex Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mekhami

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Regex Questions Reply with quote

Code:
^.+?(say|ask|boom|bubble|chatter|chime|exclaim|growl|hiss|purr|rasp|ribbit|rustle|think|whisper)((e)?s)? (to )?[A-z]+( in .+?)?\: .+$

I've got this sort of regex. How in the WORLD do I convert this to the tintin regex engine? The conditional stuff after the large array really messes me up.
PowerGod

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you post also some phrase to be filtered ?
mekhami

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. A lot of things. For instance:

You say: Hello
Greg says: Hi
Sam hisses: What?
Darling tells you: Nothing
John seems to say: Blah
Hardy says in dwarvish: Bah humbug.
Jake says to you: I'm from state farm.

What it shouldn't catch:
words like 'A bubble.' 'A boomerang.'
PowerGod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should try to wrap the entire expression with {} to make it work as a normal regexp:

Code:

#var phrase {Sam hisses: What?}
#OK. VARIABLE {phrase} HAS BEEN SET TO {Sam hisses: What?}.
#regexp {$phrase} {{^.+?(say|ask|boom|bubble|chatter|chime|exclaim|growl|hiss|purr|rasp|ribbit|rustle|think|whisper)((e)?s)? (to )?[A-z]+( in .+?)?\: .+$}} {#echo $phrase}

Anyway, I don't think that the expression you posted is correct for all the listed cases, in the previous example it doesn't catch the phrase because of the space and the "[A-z]+" part expected before the ":"
F-3000

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Regex Questions Reply with quote

mekhami wrote:
Code:
^.+?(say|ask|boom|bubble|chatter|chime|exclaim|growl|hiss|purr|rasp|ribbit|rustle|think|whisper)((e)?s)? (to )?[A-z]+( in .+?)?\: .+$

Here's the regex slightly optimized and fixed:
Code:
^.+? (say|ask|boom|bubble|chatter|chime|exclaim|growl|hisse?|purr|rasp|ribbit|rustle|think|whisper)s?( (to )?[A-z]+( in .+?)?)?\: .+$

Changes explained:

I added space before the list, so that we'll skip comparing the list for spaces, and start from the beginning of a word. Will prevent list matching to flask and such. Minimal benefit, but some regardless.

I removed ((e)?s)? completely, except s?. I'm not native with english, so I might be incorrect with this one, but I thought that "es" does not match with anything else than "hiss" (hisses), thus we really don't need the letter e elsewhere, so I added it behind the hiss, with questionmark: |hisse?|. The questionmark should affect only the letter e in that position. The lack of e at the end of the list impacts every matched string. I also removed the closures around s at the end of the list, because we don't need 'em for a single symbol.

I also added ()? between question mark after list and : to make something like "says:" to work by enclosing everything inbetween to nice MAYBE.

If you need the regex only for matching, not for capturing, you can drop .+$ from the end of the regex.

Then there's lookbehind which could be used to finegrain further, but I don't feel THAT smart today.

As a side note, .+? does not equal to .*. Question mark makes quantifier (like + and *) lazy, as I (re?)learned after posting ma first edit.

Note: If someone knows something better than I about what I wrote, I'm all open for education. Smile

(My source.)

Ps. Thanks to PowerGod and his code, I actually tested the regexes, and they seem to work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: