TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

#split dissapears

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Bug Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElodieTheWolf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: #split dissapears Reply with quote

Occasionally my #split disappears. I don't need to #unsplit /#split to get it back, I just have to use #split again. The other method was mentioned in another thread, so I assume my problem is different. I can't quite figure out what's responsible. I've been using a custom prompt, but this was occurring even before I started playing with the #prompt command. I haven't narrowed it down to a certain command or string. It does seem to occur more often with larger text outputs, though. And sometimes if a specific command causes it to happen, I'll #split again, rerun the command, get the same output, but the #split stays in place this time. Any ideas what might be going on? If I can narrow the issue down more, I'll post updates here.
PowerGod

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your description is very generic... never happened to me to lose a split...

If you want to debug this issue better, the RAW log is always your friend, also you can use "#debug all", to see even more info on what is happening
ElodieTheWolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know it was generic, but it's all I had to go on. I'll turn on debug mode and tinker around, see if I can't find something more. I suppose it's possibly an issue with my terminal, but I doubt it. Or maybe it's some sort of packet loss? I dunno, I'm shooting in the dark. I'll post again when I've got more to go on.
ElodieTheWolf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I may have narrowed down at least ONE case where I lose my split. If I am typing a long command, one that wraps to a 2nd line, and meanwhile the game echoes text to me. That seems to be a situation where the --- line gets pushed up and the #split disappears until I run #split again.
ElodieTheWolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing with the #split command to see if I can create a larger input area, and in turn, see if that solves my issue. It is not uncommon to post an emote that's more than a few lines. I sort of grasp that the first argument is for the top area, but the 2nd is for the bottom. But the prompt line doesn't seem to go where I want, and the input area gets full of dashs. Is it possible to get a setup like this? Here's an image in MUSHClient similar to what I mean. See how the input area has room for more than one line of text? (disregarrd that little box in the corner, I've no idea what that is Smile )
LokiChaos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think tintin++ supports a multi-line input area.

What terminal emulator are you using? Issues with split get likely could be related to that.
I would also see if the game is sending odd control codes for some reason, but I would expect the issue to be far more consistent then. You could do a raw log and look over it for anything odd.
ElodieTheWolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LokiChaos wrote:
I don't think tintin++ supports a multi-line input area.

What terminal emulator are you using? Issues with split get likely could be related to that.
I would also see if the game is sending odd control codes for some reason, but I would expect the issue to be far more consistent then. You could do a raw log and look over it for anything odd.

I'm currently using Terminator, but I'm not married to it, it's just the default for my distro. It being the problem wouldn't be a big surprise since my issue seems so rare though. The lack of a possible multi-line input area is sort of a bummer though Sad
LokiChaos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a more RP-centric MUD? I would say that maybe a system of an external editor combined with an alias/macro to read in a dummy file would be the way to go for elaborate input. A real editor is going to be vastly superior to tintin's basic readline-esque input features. Certainly if you are regularly writing longer entries it would probably be the way to go.
ElodieTheWolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, exactly. And when writing IC mail and such, I do tend to check it out in an external editor first. But that's really the solution I'm looking for. Sometimes scenes move quick, and each emote may be only one or two lines. Sometimes it's nececary to drop a big ol' paragraph on the scene too. Using an editor and copy pasting into TinTin is always going to be cumbersome. Another issue for me personally, is that using an external editor isn't always possible. One of the reasons I'm learning and migrating to TinTin is because it is console based, and that allows me to play remotely by SSHing into my machine and then running the client from there. (i guess I could learn Vi as well, but then my head might explode) A multiline input area would be ideal for me, but it's not a deal breaker. I'm hoping trying a different terminal emulator will resolve my issues but it's going to be a little while before I can figure out if that's the case or not. In any event. mark that up as a feature request for me Smile Or I'll put it somewhere proper if there is a proper channel for feature requests.
PowerGod

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then, your best solution is to let your head explode !! It's a great sensation, you will be used to it Big Smile

You will REALLY need to learn to use TMUX, so, while in ssh you will be able to split the terminal in 2 (or more), and so you can use VIM and TT++ at the same time in the same terminal window, and then just read the edited file from an #action or something like that.

But I can't understand why you need a multiline area where to write... you can use ";" to send different lines to the mud
LokiChaos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who does some RP on irc, the point isn't to send multiple lines, but rather see the entirety of a long command at once. I do echo the tmux system ssh/mosh + tmux is worth using.

I'm working on something semi-realted for integrating tintin+tmux+vim (but nano or any other editor would work) for MUD writing mode composition. I believe there is something on the forums now that does it as well.
PowerGod

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a proof of concept I made just for fun, it could be improved, it has the purpose to just show the entire command without sending it to the mud.

Code:

#split 1 16

#var linelength {20}

#alias {>} {
    #var multiline 16;
    #var charcounter 0;
    #var theline {};
    #parse {%0} char {
        #var theline {$theline$char};
        #echo {{$theline} {$multiline}};
        #math {charcounter} {$charcounter+1};
        #if {$charcounter == $linelength} {
             #var charcounter 0;
             #math {multiline} {$multiline - 1};
             #var {theline} {}
        }
    }
}

So, if you write something using ">" as a prefix, when you press enter everything is shown on the lower split lines as a wrapped text.

Then when you are sure that everything is correct, you just recall the previous line and delete the ">" at the beginning.

Slysven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course some MUDs do worry about being spammed/flooded and disconnect a user if they get lots of input in a short time...! Confused
PowerGod

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slysven wrote:
Of course some MUDs do worry about being spammed/flooded and disconnect a user if they get lots of input in a short time...! Confused

#textin can be used for this, there's only the need to put the paragraph in a file first.

#delay could be used too after some splitting
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't hurt to use #config {packet patch} {0.5}

Sounds like a problem with the terminal, but it might be related to packet fragmentation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Bug Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: