TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

Difference in #parse behavior using &0 vs $parse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Bug Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moebius

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Difference in #parse behavior using &0 vs $parse Reply with quote

Code:
> #parse {a b c} {#showme [&0]}
[a]
[ ]
[b]
[ ]
[c]

vs.

Code:

> #parse {a b c} {#showme [$parse]}
[a]
[]
[b]
[]
[c]

I would much prefer using $parse in this situation as &0 interefers with function arguments.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too, I'll look into it =]
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it, you can probably use &&90 for #parse within a function as long as the function doesn't use the 9th argument.
moebius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I don't think that'd work here, it's entirely possible that I will use the 9th argument. (Also it's a such a hack Smile )

In fact, is there any way to use more than 10 in a function? In aliases, %0 acts as a catch-all so you can basically use as many as you want (so long as you don't care about individually addressing them), but there is no such thing for functions...

The alias is basically a say script, so the # of arguments is variable and could often be quite high. I was wanted to convert it @function so I could reuse it in different aliases but thinking about it now the 10 argument limit could be a big problem.

Although, I suppose I could make the function just take 1 argument, and call it with the sentence wrapped in { }, so it's one argument with spaces. I.e.

Code:
#alias mysay {say @msg{{%0}}}

moebius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I just noticed you can't just call a function from within a function. Because when you define a function that calls another one, the function calls in the defination get executed immediately and their values are recorded in the function defintion. Ugh.

But you can do the &9 hack again. Wow, this is really getting ugly :/
moebius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing the conversation with myself, regarding the limitations of 10 arguments for functions.

Okay, doing

Code:
#alias mysay {say @msg{{%0}}}

only sort of works. Say I wanna make a tell alias. I want it to be usable just like the mud's normal tell, i.e. "mytell joe hey guess what I heard the other day?". So I have to get the first word out of the list before sending it to the function. I try this:

Code:
#alias mytell {
   #var args %0;
   #list del args 1;
   tell %1 @msg{{$args}};
}

which looks reasonable. Except when you do the list operation, the list stored in args is slightly changed; if $args was {a b c d e} before the del, it's {{b} {c} {d} {e}} after. Which in a list context is equivalent to {b c d e}, but in a string context, like when you pass it to the function wrapped in { }, it's much different. In fact, the alias won't even run, you'll get an "#Unmatched braces error".
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't work well indeed. You can use #forall to get rid of the braces but that's still a little tricky.

The &&90 thing is a bit of a hack, but at least it's a natural phenomenom and not something of my own creation Wink I should have thought of that sooner cause it's the main reason I added variables.

You can use #parse and a custom function to skip the first word and copy the rest as the result.

Code:

#function oneword
{
    #format oneword 0;
    #format result %s;
    #parse {&0}
    {
        #if {$oneword}
        {
            #format result %s%s {{$result} {&&90}}
        }
        {
            #if {"&&90" == " "}
            {
                #format oneword 1
            }
        }
    }
}
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> Bug Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: