TinTin++ Mud Client The TinTin++ message board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TinTin++ Mud Client

TinTin Development

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louipc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: TinTin Development Reply with quote

Hello. I was wondering how is tintin development managed?
Is the source code tracked in a revision controlled repository that people can checkout?

I think that would be quite handy if development was tracked in a git repository or something.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given I'm the only developer it's too much trouble to use a repository.
louipc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're on Linux using git is extremely simple.

# Change to source directory
cd tt

# Initialise repository
git init

# Add everything. Make sure you don't have binary objects laying around
git add .

# Make an initial commit.
git commit

That'll just make a local repository for your own development purposes. You can look through your commit messages to see the progress of changes and do all kinds of neat things. If you choose to publish the repo then others can understand what's going on better, and it may encourage development.

Then you don't need to host those beta tarballs, you could just point people to the repo. Also, everyone could see the exact changes they're pulling, and can easily even choose a subset.

You need to learn a little about the system, but I definitely think it's worth doing. There are tons of resources to help with that.

I was thinking of grabbing all the past versions and putting them into a repo one at a time so at least we could easily see all changes between versions.
sj

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also like to see TinTin++ source code in a repository (preferably Git). The current situation doesn't inspire potential developers.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's somewhat intentional as I prefer to do my own thing, and I generally don't work too well with others.

I'd be happy to link derivative works from the website, and answer development related questions on the forum.

I've got very little free time at the moment, so that complicates things.
g0rm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it meet the desires of several would-be developers, and of Scandum to open a tintin++ project with BerlinOS? It would not be a fork (I certainly do not have the time for that), but it would be a means of tracking changes, including contributed patches. It would not see any 'releases', it would merely be updated from here if there is an official release.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fine with me. If a handful of people want to work together and take over development that's an idea as well, as I've gotten to the point where I'd rather focus on other projects.
g0rm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scandum wrote:
That's fine with me. If a handful of people want to work together and take over development that's an idea as well, as I've gotten to the point where I'd rather focus on other projects.

Arg, don't say that. I started to use tintin++ mainly because it is actively maintained, unless others. So, let me express my thanks for your work, and my wish that you continue to develop tintin++ and put those dark thoughts away.
Slysven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
ixle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g0rm wrote:
Scandum wrote:

Arg, don't say that. I started to use tintin++ mainly because it is actively maintained, unless others. So, let me express my thanks for your work, and my wish that you continue to develop tintin++ and put those dark thoughts away.

Indeed, +1 as well.

Thanks for all your time here and in the code. I think you've got the best CLI mud client around. I'm playing the #1 mud on TMC/TMS and it's running beautifully. All the people using the prepackaged Aardmush client don't know what they're missing :)
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought this over and I think the best route for interested developers is to create derivative versions, which I'll be happy to link on the site and make the occasional announcement for.

That way I can work on tt++ whenever I feel like it without the project becoming a chore.
g0rm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you consider to let some of us use the already existing 'tintin' sourceforge project, or would you advise to start another, new project?
g0rm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should post why I don't think an entirely new project would not be a good idea.

I have seen a lot of projects split this way. Either the derivative work will attract most of the users, then the original work essentially dies - or the derivative doesn't ever get enough momentum and users, and dies. In both cases work and development time is lost. Mud clients don't have that large of a user community to let that happen, let alone the tintin++ users/developer community.

Even if we now would say we would start a derivative which strives to stay close to the original, they will eventually diverge if not a lot of effort is spent on merging patches from both versions. So, I don't think that this model would work in the long term either.

Managing a project like this is work, this is true. It can become a chore, as you said. But some management is necessary. Would you consider to move some of the burden of managing the development to other developers, helping you out and securing the future of tintin++?
Slysven

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I understand that both WinTin95 and WinTin.Net were both forks from this codebase and it does appear that one, if not both, are dead in the water (My apologies to the maintainters of those if I am actually in error on that!)

I guess that Mr Scandum has clear ideas as to what he wants to do, and managing a group of developers, each with their own visions of how TinTin++ can be 'improved' may not be his most desired outcome.

I presume it IS possible for branches and derivatives to be accomodated in the sourceforge structure? Perhaps it would be useful to identify in the development forum area what changes/developements are feasible (i.e. establish a roadmap) before we each head off in different directions? What things ARE still on the ToDo list?
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're pretty much dead, though I don't know what kind of user base they have. Tinyfugue hasn't been actively developed for over a decade and is still reasonably popular.

There aren't a whole lot of major items left on the TODO.

One very interesting area of development would be a GUI capable terminal emulator.
Chicomecoatl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ixle contacted me on Aardwolf, as I'm one of the (if not THE) main developers for TinTin++ in regards to Aardwolf (very popular MUD). I'm actually looking to gather up a few people who would be willing to work as a group.

I wrote a 'drag-and-drop' version of TT++ with a few scripts to get people started on Aardwolf (mapper, chat windows, etc), Ixle has since then added his own changes to it. My goal currently is to 1) Round up some free time to actually sit down and start development 2) Cross platform GUI interface (with on/off capability) (most likely through Python and Tkinter, or Perl and Tk).

I plan to do this regardless, but if I had some sort of development team to back me up and such, it would make the time required much less, and development could begin much sooner.

So, anyone interested feel free to contact me with your skillset and contact information, and I'll work on setting up a team to get it done. I can be contacted in numerous ways.

--Contact Information--
Cell: (620)877-0111
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/darkknowing
Email: colbymeier@hotmail.com, colbymeier1337@gmail.com
Aardwolf: Tells/Notes to Cheezburger and/or ImoChiz (cheez = main, Imo = alt)
--/Contact Information--

I'm putting this contact info up in good faith that people responding to these are looking to actually help/develope and not to troll/harass -- If you feel the need to resort to such childish measures I'm not going to stop you, but I'm also not going to pay you any heed to anything that you have concerns/issues/suggestions about in the future.

Regards,
Colby/Cheezburger
g0rm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After contacting Chicomecoatl there is now a second sourceforge project, dedicated to collect contributions from other tintin developers in some coordinated fashion. Let me know if you are interested to join the effort of improving tintin++ where possible.

https://sourceforge.net/p/tintindev/wiki/Home/
taizong

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope there is no fork, and Scandum continues development! This is such a good mud client, and would hate to see it go inactive or fork (and fork and fork...) and die.

Edit: however I'd also just mention that github (or similar) seems like a really great way to host a repository and foster collaboration (and is free as well for open source projects!)
reality3k

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nice thing about open source projects is they never die as long as someone doesn't want them to. Wink
Slysven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"... use the source, Luke!" Laughing
taizong

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be, but it's still a major blow to a project when a lead developer leaves. Not saying that is the case here since I really hope that Scandum can continue Ecstatic
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got different priorities at the moment and it's probably best if someone else takes over, preferably someone who is a better team worker than I am. Coffee
jktseug

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be willing to help out, or take over. I probably wouldn't have much more time than you to work on it though.
Scandum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not the best idea if you're short on time.
shmup

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an older thread, but google brought me here, so it'll happen to someone else.

There is an unofficial community on Github: http://tintinplusplus.github.io/

It is incredibly helpful for getting setup to develop and work on tintin.

Here is the Github repo specifically for tintin++: https://github.com/tintinplusplus/tintin
goofy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping Tintin++ stable and available in the Debian repositories is something I am passionate about. Thank you for keeping it up to date and making it great Scandum, you are the best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The TinTin++ message board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: